Thursday, February 26, 2009

Say "no" to the good things...

For those of you who don't know this, the Landmark Forum (see www.landmarkeducation.com) is the latest version of Werner Ehrhard's "est" (Erhard Seminar Training) program. It was pretty popular in the 1970's, but had a lot of bad press. Like - you would sit there all day and couldn't leave to go to the bathroom. It's truly not like that anymore. It's transformed into several new programs that start with the Forum. They also offer Communications training and Leadership training.

I'm mentioning this because a friend of mine is involved in the program and had invited me to attend a free introductory event last November. Now it's February and with the next FOrum offered in my area in March, he asked me if I intended to go.

I tried really hard to consider it. I watched the videos, read the syllabus, but no matter how hard I tried to keep an open mind, I just couldn't bring myself to enroll.

If seems that I have different understandings about life and relationships, and that although I could attempt to suspend my attitudes for the two days and one evening so that I might gain some insight, it would be two days and one evening of suffering. Oh, not like physical torture, starvation or pain but emotional and mental suffering.

So when he called me back two days later and asked if I would enroll, I said no. And that was something!

I've been listening to "motivational" CDs lately, and one guideline I've taken to heart is: Say "no" to the good things and "yes" to the great things.

Well, this opportunity may be good but I'm still saying no.

I think putting this guideline to use in my life will be a good thing, as I tend to say "yes" to so many things, that I tend to get little done with the things that are priorities.


I've heard that we all have 168 hours per week, so how we choose to spend them is an indication of our character and core values. So why do I spend so much time in front of my HD TV?? I'll save the answer to that for another post...

1 comment:

  1. And here I was just saying that I spent 5 HOURS looking for flair on facebook - I am now going to call it crackbook. It's addicting like that!

    ReplyDelete